CARP and Router Advertisement for Load Balancing in IPv6

Archimedes Gaviola agaviola at infoweapons.com
Fri May 12 12:08:01 UTC 2006

Hi!

I have two dual-stack firewalls on which I used CARP for load balancing on
IPv4 on both external and internal interfaces while I got some problem on
IPv6 since it's running router advertisements. My plan would be to create a
CARP interface for IPv6 and this CARP interface will be used for router
advertisement with the same purpose on load balancing. The problem is CARP
interface cannot be used as router advertisement interface since it doesn't
have a link-local address for neighbor discovery process. I used router
advertisement on my firewalls for stateless autoconfiguration. Is there a
way to solve this problem? Does anybody has an alternative on this for load
balancing? Thank you.

Archimedes S. Gaviola