transparent proxy on bridge

Michael Vince mv at thebeastie.org
Wed Jun 21 10:01:54 UTC 2006

Roman Gorohov. wrote:

>Hello list.
>I'm planning to configure pf in bridged environment(using if_bridge on 6.1),
>so I have question if transparent proxy will work?
>Is the any working config, or some known issues?
>
>TIA, Roman Gorohov.

What kind of transparent proxy are we talking here, web?
I guess most people would recommend squid,
Out of interest I tested out the new proxy modules for Apache 2.0 and
2.2 as a proxy and it does work quite well, has a fair amount of options
for cache size and what types to cache and expire.

My main aim for it was just to run it in the office for a while and have
a strict rule to just cache stuff over 1 meg or larger.
To me it seems silly and a waste of cpu / hd / io on the proxy server if
you bother caching 10k files while everyone in the office is downloading
open office and firefox all day.

I would of liked to try it in production if I could figure out how to
run it transparently let alone for a bridge, but I couldn't quite get there.

Mike