Multiple DSL lines, load sharing / shaping

Josh Finlay montarotech at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jan 18 03:26:50 PST 2006

Hi Sten,

Ahh.. well that will be something for me to look into then. Give me a
starting point anyway.

Don't suppose you've had experience doing it in PF? ;-)

Now here is what I don't get
We have 5x512=2560kbps (note: each line has a seperate IP address, same
provider though).
We want to download a file over HTTP
Browser sends "GET /path/to/file HTTP/1.1", etc.. from IP1
And Web server sends headers and file contents back to IP1
and since IP1 is only a 512kbps line, it would seem to me that it wouldn't
be possible to achieve anything higher than 512kbps or attempt to
incorporate any of the other lines into the transfer because that would just
confuse the server.

My only thought was that if you received over a proxy (or used a download
manager with segmentation features, like that horrible windows program
GetRight) and the proxy would get the file size, divide it into how many
lines/ips I had (in this case, 5) and then ask for bytes 0 -> first part,
and start concurrent connections for first part -> second part, third ->
forth, etc. In a similar way that a resume would work.. Does this make
sense?

Or is there an extremely easier way of doing things that I just wasn't aware
of yet?

Look forward to hearing some responses...

Regards,

Josh Finlay