PF + PPPoE

stephen dinzdale at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 03:14:58 PST 2006

what rudi means to say is, in his rc.conf he has stuck instructions
for his ppp to start on boot, and for pf to load on boot. problem is
freebsd creates tun0 when ppp runs for the first time, not when the
machine boots up, and as his pf.conf refers to tun0, pf won't start if
it runs before ppp has started as there is no tun0 device and pf bombs
out saying 'no such device'.   (i know cause i had similar issue ;-)

what i did was make a start script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ that runs
ppp, sleeps for 30 seconds (should be more than enough - i use
telkom's adsl which takes about 10 seconds, and i think my mate's
iburst connects in less than 30 seconds) and -then- runs pf -f
/etc/pf.conf

that should do the trick

stephen