Traffic Shaping with pf ...

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at seton.org
Wed Nov 16 14:11:49 PST 2005

All,

      I have a couple of firewalls running freebsd 5.4 and pf and was
planning to use ALTQ for traffic shaping. But after doing a bit of
reading, it would seem that ALTQ only works on traffic passing outbound
on an interface. Since most of the traffic passing through my firewall
is http and ftp traffic, the inbound direction is the path being
saturated. Did I read the ALTQ documentation wrong or is there another
mechanism available for use with pf that could help me prioritize
bandwidth usage?

Thanks in advance,

-Matthew