ALTQ on carp + pfsync?

Constant, Benjamin bconstant at be.tiauto.com
Wed Jun 1 01:44:58 PDT 2005

Hello @list,

I've 2 interface (internal em0 and external em1) on a FreeBSD 5.4 (stable)
box acting as a router + traffic shaper.

- Pfsync is using internal interface (don't have 3 nic in the box) to
exchange data.
- ATLQ is enabled on external interface (em1).
- CARP is in use on both interface (in failover mode).

I'm currently using CBQ scheduler for the traffic shaping and as I've no
specific rule for carp and pfsync protocols,
I think this traffic is falling in the default (mandatory) cbq child queue
(which of course doesn't have the biggest priority).

Is there a good way to avoid traffic shaping on carp and pfsync proto?
Do I have to *split* my interface real bandwith in 2? One part for real
traffic shaping and the other part for carp + pfsync?
How do you deal with this? I would be happy to share comments on this...

Regards,

Benjamin Constant
TI Automotive

confidential information.  It is intended only for the use of the
person(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or
duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
destroy all copies of the original message. This communication is from TI
Automotive.