Bridging + pf in a production environment

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Thu Jan 13 04:16:16 PST 2005

On Thursday 13 January 2005 08:57, Ballance, Robert T wrote:
> Howdy list,
>
> My university is starting to seriously look into migrating from our
> convoluted Slackware Linux + iptables bridging solution to a FreeBSD + pf
> bridging solution.
>
> I've been reading around about it, after the mention by Solarflux about
> there being problems currently with bridging with pf on FreeBSD. Which
> worries me, he mentioned the option of using OpenBSD, which, is an option,
> but whatever we commit to, we're going to commit to for a good couple of
> years. (We have been using Slackware for about 2 years thus far)
>
> Is anybody currently working on bringing of if_bridge from Net/OpenBSD as
> Max suggests
> (http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pf/2005-January/000734.html)
>
> If not, if anybody could really outline how fixing this problem could be
> fixed (past maybe just importing if_bridge) I might be able to convince my
> employer to  pay me to work on it ;)
> (after all, I'm just a measely student worker :P)
>
> Let me know :)

There is somebody working on it, but it is yet unclear how long until we see
results from that.  Meanwhile, you might want to try the patch for bridge.c
from Pyun YongHyeon which improves the situation already:
http://www.kr.freebsd.org/~yongari/patches/bridge.patch

There might be a newer version of this patch here:
http://www.pfsense.org/downloads/bridge.patch.041215

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org