block specific IP's: corporate network

Hexren me at hexren.net
Sun Feb 6 08:48:54 PST 2005

vwe> we have a standart LAN-server-WAN network configuration in
vwe> cyber-cafe

vwe> --LAN---|-em0-server----dc0-|---WAN

vwe> we want to rule outbound client connections, so pf.conf has the following
vwe> layout (only filter rules part)

vwe> .....
vwe> pass quick on $int_if all
vwe> pass quick on lo0 all

vwe> # block specific client's ip's
vwe> #
vwe> block in quick on $ext_if from any  to IP
vwe> block out quick on $ext_if from IP to any
vwe> .....
vwe> # statefule pass out rules on the specific ports
vwe> #e.g.
vwe> # Allow out non-secure standard www function
vwe> pass out quick on $ext_if proto tcp from any  to any port = 80 flags S/SA
vwe> keep state
vwe> ....

vwe> so we assume given IP should be blocked from the WAN. But to my amusement,
vwe> the client's browser gets out, states are created, so nothing is
vwe> being blocked. For now, I have no clue how it is happening
vwe> Vlad