pf causes freeze of amd64 machine on heavy network load

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Sat Aug 6 17:24:15 GMT 2005

On Saturday 06 August 2005 19:18, Björn König wrote:
> Hello,
>
> recently I sent a mail to the current mailing list concerning this
> problem, but I figured out that my problem is related to pf.
>
> I have an amd64 machine with 6.0-BETA2 that freezes totally on heavy
> network I/O with activated pf. I noticed that it doesn't occur with
> every ruleset.
>
> This is the output of dmesg; note the KDB backtraces during the attempt
> to load pf.ko and system shutdown:
>
>    http://212.202.37.29/dateien/dmesg.txt
>
> The following ruleset is neither complete nor optimized; I stopped
> working on it when I noticed that pf doesn't work for me:
>
>    http://212.202.37.29/dateien/pf.conf.txt
>
> Unfortunately the time-frame where I can make tests concerning this
> issue is from now until Monday. I hope someone is able to reproduce the
> error to make further investigations.

From pf.conf(5):
BUGS
     Due to a lock order reversal (LOR) with the socket layer, the use of the
     group and user filter parameter in conjuction with a Giant-free netstack
     can result in a deadlock.  If you have to use group or user you must set
     debug.mpsafenet to ``0'' from the loader(8), for the moment.  This work-
     around will still produce the LOR, but Giant will protect from the dead-
     lock.

I am afraid this is what bites you.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org