PF, SSH closed by remote host

Rod rod at supanet.net.uk
Thu Aug 4 17:42:45 GMT 2005

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has come across this before.

I'm running FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE running PF from rc.conf. I ssh into this
box as a non-root user then su. On doing a ps -auwx I instantly get
disconnect with Connection to 192.168.2.3 closed by remote host.
Connection to 192.168.2.3 closed.

If I disable PF everything is fine (pfctl -d.

e.g. :

lfs2# ps -auwx
USER        PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ   RSS  TT  STAT STARTED      TIME
COMMAND
root         11 99.0  0.0     0     8  ??  RL    4:48PM 152:49.91 [idle]
root          0  0.0  0.0     0     0  ??  DLs   4:48PM   0:00.01
[swapper]Connection to 192.168.2.3 closed by remote host.
Connection to 192.168.2.3 closed.

rc.conf :

# Packet Filtering
pf_enable="YES"                 # Enable PF (load module if required)
pf_rules="/etc/pf.conf"         # rules definition file for pf
pf_flags=""                     # additional flags for pfctl startup
pflog_enable="YES"              # start pflogd(8)
pflog_logfile="/var/log/pflog"  # where pflogd should store the logfile
pflog_flags=""                  # additional flags for pflogd startup

This is my pf.conf :

ext_if="em0"
external_addr="192.168.2.3"
box_admins = "{192.168.2.8 192.168.2.9 192.168.20 192.168.45}"

set fingerprints "/etc/pf.os"
set block-policy drop
scrub in all
block in all
block out all
block in log all
                                                                                                                                                           #Allow Admins
pass in on $ext_if from $box_admins to any

#icmp, ping etc
pass in on $ext_if proto icmp all

#allow outbound and keep states
pass out on $ext_if proto { tcp, udp, icmp } all keep state

Have tried lists,google and multiple different variations of the above
pf.conf but it's still happening. Any suggests?