pf + carp issue

randall ehren randall at ucsb.edu
Wed Apr 27 23:16:58 PDT 2005

>  everything works just fine except for one problem, i cannot get my carp0
> device properly configured via a ifconfig_carp0 entry in /etc/rc.conf.

well, a couple hours later i managed to fix the problem, how exactly i
still do not know.

i did two things at once:
  1) i changed my em0 interface from DHCP to use a static address
  2) i added the following line to my /etc/rc.conf:

network_interfaces="lo0 em0 em1 carp0 pfsync0"

so it was one thing or another, at this point it works so that's all i
care about.

also of interest is that if you run an SSH server on your virtual
(carp0) interface, then you need to have a pf ruleset for that device:

from /etc/pf.conf:
pass  in quick inet proto tcp from any to $ext_if port 22 flags S/SA
keep state
pass  in quick inet proto tcp from any to $carp_if port 22 flags S/SA
keep state

i'll do a writeup of all this tomorrow and post a link to the list,
currently the only example online is for openbsd so it'd be nice to have
a freebsd version.

thanks to all those got PF and CARP running on freebsd, it's opening up
a lot of doors for what we can do within our server environment.

  -randall

--
         :// randall s. ehren         :// voice 805.893.5632
         :// systems administrator    :// isber|survey|avss.ucsb.edu