pf + carp issue

randall ehren randall at ucsb.edu
Wed Apr 27 14:43:26 PDT 2005

hi -
 i am experiencing the same problem as previously reported but never
answered at:

 http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pf/2005-March/000877.html

 everything works just fine except for one problem, i cannot get my carp0
device properly configured via a ifconfig_carp0 entry in /etc/rc.conf.

>>The other thing I should mention is that I cannot get any of the carp
>>interfaces to change to an up state using ifconfig_carp[n] entries in
>>the rc.conf file no matter what I try. When the box comes up, they
>>always have a flags value of zero and I have to manually set them to up
>>after gaining remote console access.

 that's me too. here's what it looks like after booting:

carp0: flags=1<UP> mtu 1500
        carp: INIT vhid 1 advbase 1 advskew 100

and then after i run:
 ifconfig carp0 up vhid 1 advskew 100 pass XXX XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/24

it shows up correctly:

carp0: flags=41<UP,RUNNING> mtu 1500
        inet XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX netmask 0xffffff00
        carp: BACKUP vhid 1 advbase 1 advskew 100

and here is my /etc/rc.conf snippet:

cloned_interfaces="carp0"
ifconfig_carp0="up vhid 1 advskew 100 pass XXX XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/24"

the only other thing weird about the machine is that even though it has
network access immediately upon the console being available it takes about
five minutes before i see this:

 Apr 27 14:32:32 new-lrd2 kernel: em0: Link is up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex

kinda odd.

 so, any ideas?

 thanks in advance,
 -randall

--
        :// randall s. ehren         :// voice 805.893.5632
        :// systems administrator    :// isber|survey|avss.ucsb.edu