RELENG_5, CARP, and carpdev

Jon Simola jsimola at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 17:48:10 PDT 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 2:40 PM, Glenn Lebumfacil <glenngl at prolexic.com> wrote:
> If you don't have a place to specify the carp device (like
> vlandev for vlan interfaces), how does it choose which interface to bind
> to?  Does it always choose the first interface?  So... em0 in my case.

The interface is chosen based on existing configured networks. So if
you have 10.1.1.1/24 configured on em0, then configuring carp0 as
10.1.1.254 will have it running on em0. This does seem a bit odd, but
it's how it works.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-tech&m=110229937028512&w=2
Is a pach against OpenBSD-current that might be appearing in OpenBSD
3.7 that adds the carpdev keyword and binding to a physical interface.

--
Jon Simola
Systems Administrator