[pf4freebsd] why multiple CARP groups

sam samwun at hgdbroadband.com
Wed Sep 15 21:12:31 PDT 2004

Hi,

I need to get adviced by someone  for the usage of CARP+pfsync.
With the BIG example as described in the following page:
http://www.countersiege.com/doc/pfsync-carp/#big
I don't understand why create a different CARP group for each
application server instead of using only one CARP interface for 4
internal application servers is better.

With only one CARP address for 4 application servers, traffic still can
be redirected to another app server if one is died. Unless one CARP
address is not efficient.

Can anyone please explain the difference using multiple CARP groups
instead of one CARP address?

Thanks
sam