[pf4freebsd] Re: Maturity of this port?

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 15 21:04:23 PDT 2004

On 2004.05.25 22:26:29 +0200, Max Laier wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 May 2004 08:09, Ryan Verner wrote:
> > Do update the webpage; I found the commit in freebsd's cvs tree
>
> Ya, that's a weak spot. I dislike (read hate) HTML with a passion and just
> hacked the "pf homepage" together to have something. No actual maintaining
> ever since. I really have to do something about it.

If you write the content I don't mind doing the markup.. It could also
be put on the main FreeBSD website, if you like.

> <...>
> > I can certainly test it on my own connections, but I'm looking to
> > replace production-use OpenBSD shapers, and any downtime is a big no-no
> > (in short, wireless ISP, many customers).  I think I'll look further
> > into this project for my intended task once ALTQ matures and reaches the
> > base system; any idea how long that would be?
>
> That depends largely on how much (positive) feeback I get on the patches. I
> have limited testing capabilities and won't release this untested to the
> world. If I get some promising results *soon* - including successful tests on
> SMP boxes and possibly GigE NICs (just ask me to mod' the drivers if you
> can't to it yourself) - I will try to get it in before 5.3R. The import of pf
> 3.5 will happen before 5.3R in any case.

Do you have any specific things that should be tested, or just I just do
a simple ruleset and see if it blows up ?

I can probably "abuse" a few of the test servers at work which is both
SMP and GigE (em/bge based).  I hope to have time to do that sometime
this week.

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team