[pf4freebsd] Re: Hatchet for FreeBSD/PF

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Wed Sep 15 21:01:02 PDT 2004

On Sunday 01 February 2004 20:12, Jason Dixon wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 13:42, Max Laier wrote:
> > This looks great and it is a pleasure to see third party programs
> > standing on our port! Do you plan to wrap this into a freebsd
> > ports-tree port or is anybody else on this mailinglist willing to
> > maintain such a port? If not I could build a port myself (if you
> > don't object?).
>
> Thanks, I'm glad that you enjoy it.  I'd love to create ports for
> Open/FreeBSD, but I've never tried developing one.  The documentation
> appears to assume plenty of programming (make) experience, so I'm sorta
> in the dark.  If you'd maintain the port, I'd be happy to see it
> happen.
>
> If I can be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to ask!  :)
Attached you find a first stab at creating a FreeBSD port. As our mailing=
=20
list is bitchy with attachments I put it to:=20
http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/hatchet-port.tar.gz as well.=20

There are some things to note:
1) There is no port of DBD::Chart yet. This has to be resolved and a=20
dependency should be added.
2) I haven't tried it (as I don't have a box where I can without too much=
=20
disruption of pending work).
3) The Makefile is nicked from mail/squirrelmail partly, one might want t=
o=20
acknowledge that when she/he submits it.

So, if anyone is willing to maintain this (I suggest that you do it=20
yourself, Jason) you should take the following steps:
1) Create DBD::Chart port (this is very straightforward and you can look=20
at any of the several p5-XXX ports in databases).
2) Add a dependency for this port to the Makefile.
3) Test!!! ('though I believe the most issues are taken care of already).
 http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/portin=
g-testing.html
4) Put your email to the MAINTAINER line (keep the #Whom: please)
5) Submit
 http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/portin=
g-submitting.html

And a general note/request:
Can you please break the lines in Docs? These one-long-line things are a=20
hell to read!

On Sunday 01 February 2004 23:33, Jason Dixon wrote:
> Oh, one last thing... to avoid annoying those not using Hatchet, I
> won't be announcing updates to this list, only to the primary
> hatchet-users list (and Freshmeat).  I think this is probably the same
> policy as most developers, right?

Yupp ;) You might want to make an exception for security related problems=
.

I except this thread to continue at hatchet-users from now on.

--=20
Best regards,				| max at love2party.net
Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661
http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/	| mlaier at EFnet