[pf4freebsd] Re: Bridging?

Alan Bryan alan at precisionautobody.com
Wed Sep 15 20:47:25 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 27 August 2003 03:53 pm, Max Laier wrote:
> That's strange. Can you send output of "pfctl -gvvsa" after some traffic.
> Maybe with this ruleset:
>
> block in log
> block out log
> <<<<

Done. See way down below (also attached in case formatting is weird).  I sent
traffic in both directions.  A port scan in one direction and a machine
browsing the web in the other.  About 5 minutes of traffic.

> If you have time to test a bit, I'd like to send you some debugging code to
> run, as I don't have a bridge setup at hand for testing.

OK - send away.  Anything I can do to help.  I have tons of time and really
need to get this working ASAP.

Another strange tidbit of info - I needed to get the results of "pfctl -gvvsa"
onto my other machine to type up this email so I enabled the default route
and gave one card an IP in rc.conf and rebooted.  When it came back up I
couldn't ssh to the box (as expected) because the block rules were still
there.  So pf seems to work once I've bound an IP address to a NIC but
ignores the bridge???

Thanks for the help,

Alan

@0 block drop in log all
[ Skip steps: i=end f=end p=end sa=end sp=end da=end dp=end ]
[ queue: qname= qid=0 pqname= pqid=0 ]
[ Evaluations: 50        Packets: 50        Bytes: 6853        States: 0     ]

@1 block drop out log all
[ Skip steps: i=end d=end f=end p=end sa=end sp=end da=end dp=end ]
[ queue: qname= qid=0 pqname= pqid=0 ]
[ Evaluations: 50        Packets: 0         Bytes: 0           States: 0     ]

State Table                          Total             Rate
  current entries                        0
  searches                              50            0.1/s
  inserts                                0            0.0/s
  removals                               0            0.0/s
Counters
  match                                 50            0.1/s
  bad-offset                             0            0.0/s
  fragment                               0            0.0/s
  short                                  0            0.0/s
  normalize                              0            0.0/s
  memory                                 0            0.0/s
tcp.first                   120s
tcp.opening                  30s
tcp.established           86400s
tcp.closing                 900s