[pf4freebsd] Re: "portable" pf

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Wed Sep 15 20:39:08 PDT 2004

From: "Paul B. Henson" <henson at acm.org>
To: <pf at benzedrine.cx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 9:05 PM
Subject: "portable" pf

> Is there any widespread interest in developing a portable version of pf,
> similar to portable ssh? I know some efforts have been made to port it to
> other BSD variants, but I would be very interested in a Solaris port. I've
> used ipf under Solaris for a long time, however pf has long since
overtaken
> it in feature set and reliability. I have ongoing issues with system
> crashes under Solaris when a lot of state is maintained.

While working on Pyun's FreeBSD-port I did think about such a project as
well and (memory allocation provided [pool(9)/zone(9) or alike]) it should
not be too hard to get it working on other platforms (with ipf/pfil_hooks).
I started to clean up our FreeBSD port in order to make it more easy to keep
up with the development in OpenBSD-Current and will keep an eye on the
possiblity to include other porting efforts as well. If you are working on
something, please contact me.

I didn't find time to look at the NetBSD port yet, but I will try to.

Max