ipfw vs ipfilter

Castl Troy mastah at phreaker.net
Sat Dec 11 06:22:51 PST 2004

Hello people,

Can anybody help me with understanding the difference between ipfilter(ipf)
and ipfirewall (ipfw).
Any link to docs or info will greatly help me. I use FreeBSD for almost 5
years, but i used only ipfw for packet routing
and never use ipfilter for this. I wonder is it "internal" packet routing
mechanism or maybe it is just for compatibility with OpenBSD? Sorry if this
question is so stupid, but i am really dont know what ipfilter is,
man ipf did not help me with understanding the difference.

Thanks.

Sorry if i mistake list to wich i need send this.