CARP implementation questions

Matthew George mdg at secureworks.net
Wed Dec 8 12:57:45 PST 2004

First, I have a question regarding load balancing. From reading the
description on how to configure arpbalance with CARP, I get the
impression that it's an all or nothing proposition.  Is that really the
case?  I have a project where I will need to enable CARP on a pair of
multi-interface firewall/routers.  Some of the connected networks make
sense for arpbalance.  If I turn it on, am I required to have a pair of
carp interfaces configured for each physical interface? Can I use dual
vhid's for some networks and single vhid's for others?

Second, I'd like to know if anyone has set up CARP alongside a routing
daemon of some sort (zebra, quagga, etc).  I'm particularly interested
in how the daemons handle things like OSPF/RIP updates.  I should
obviously be trying to set the gateway to the CARP address, but I'm not
sure that's the easiest thing to do.  Has anyone looked into this yet?

--
Matthew George
SecureWorks Technical Operations