custom kern build

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Tue Dec 7 19:08:17 PST 2004

On Wednesday 08 December 2004 03:57, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 06:47:07PM -0800, whitevamp wrote:
> > not sure if this is the right place to post this ..
> > i am currently trying to buld a custom kern ( this in an upgrade from 4.9
> > to 5.3 ) and every time i goto build the kern i get an error saying
> > something is an unknowen option and now im getting this one and i got
> > this out of src/UPDATING  option PFIL_HOOKS ( note that the kern make has
> > complained about ,10 options so far that i have placed in the kern file )
> >
> > so what would be causeing this error ? a bad cvs up ? or ? i did a cvs up
> > to relang 5_3
>
> Bad kernel config; if you compare to GENERIC or NOTES (or read
> UPDATING) you'll see that the PFIL_HOOKS option was removed.  It's
> best to stick to GENERIC unless you know what you're doing.

This gets me wondering, might the attached diff be helpful? Is there any rule
to (not) remove outdated/expired entries?

I know we tell people to really *READ* UPDATING and I really, really suggest
that to everybody. But we can still make it easier - right?

Are there similar instances? RANDOM_IP_ID does only have the "was removed"
note, AFAIR.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org