perl-after-upgrade script [beta] idea

Jeffrey Bouquet jeffreybouquet at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 21 19:13:30 UTC 2014

Recently tasked with the daunting 5.12 5.16 upgrade on several installs
(v9) that had more than 800 or so p5-* ports,
(as well as po4a, asciiquarium, ImageMagick,  PDL, ...)  and some that
could not stage ( or had other requirements
as p5-OpenGL needs X to compile in an xterm...)
I found it easy to do twenty-at  at time.

A few days ago I obtained the relevant ports into a text file (the
result of a long pipe-find-grep from /var/db/pkg ) and
paged thru the text file (tmux top-bottom switch, cntl-b , o) in one
pane, constructing a portmaster upgrade command
in the other. (lots of typing).

All the while,  figuring it would be almost maybe as problematic in
pkg2ng, but less tab-into-var-db-pkg for spelling
corrections, as well as a more difficult reconstruction of the piped -
grepped text file to begin with (New  pkg commands
to learn).

Image my surprise upon the next install, adding a modifier (FS) to the
awk position in a not-the-same-as-yesterday
upgrade, when automagically the ports were constructed within the pipe,
more or less a perl-after-upgrade, but
twenty at a time ( head -20 , head -40, head -60 within the pipe, which
at last count has eleven subsections,
the last to signal ("yell")  when done so the next twenty could be
started. )

meaning that it would be useful to everyone IF pkg2ng were not soon to
be the default.

So my question here, is there someone who could reply to my email
address off-list, who runs both v9 and v10, and
could perfect the pipe into a perl-after-upgrade script under both
legacy and imminent packaging systems, so that
it could *maybe* be officially included ( maybe even for python
upgrades, etc... it seems to be useful to
include site_perl/5.12 in the grep, and a similar subtree exists for
python...) making it easier to include instructions for
in UPDATING for persons for whom the upgrade (more than several hundred
python or ruby or perl ports...) for
perl and/or the other ones... could run a script included with the
respective ports rather than even typing in the
command from instructions.

OTOH if needed I could post the pipe to this list, if even so that
several persons could put in in widely used freebsd
hint sites or repost it, a bit polished, to the forums' script thread.

J. Bouquet