p5-Git-Repository

Ryan Steinmetz zi at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jul 7 16:13:32 UTC 2014

On (07/07/14 17:55), Mathieu Arnold wrote:
>+--On 7 juillet 2014 09:44:09 -0400 Ryan Steinmetz <zi at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>| We should either add workarounds for older systems or a warning
>| that will be printed if a user is running a FreeBSD release that lacks
>| required functionality for the ports tree to function.
>
>Well, the ports tree is only guaranteed to work with supported FreeBSD
>releases. So, if you're not running a supported release, you're on your own.
>
>We can't add bits and pieces of version checks around everything that won't
>work with older releases.

We know what the supported releases are and we can easily add a check
to the framework to verify that you are running a supported release and
print a message if not.  This would be identical to what was done with
the PKGNG checks/warnings.

The goal is to give the user a useful message ("You are using an
unsupported version, please upgrade.") versus the errors that Barrie ran
into ("Unknown modifier 't'" or "make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue").

-r

--
Ryan Steinmetz
PGP: 9079 51A3 34EF 0CD4 F228  EDC6 1EF8 BA6B D028 46D7