perl 5.8.1_6 build fails on FreeBSD 9.2

Jukka Ukkonen jau789 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 12:36:57 UTC 2013

On 12/25/13 03:17, Jukka Ukkonen wrote:
> For some reason this is what happens...
>
> # make install
> ===>  Installing for perl5.18-5.18.1_6
> ===>  Checking if lang/perl5.18 already installed
> ./+INSTALL: Permission denied
> pkg_add: install script returned error status
> *** [install-package] Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/lang/perl5.18.
> *** [install] Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/lang/perl5.18.
>

> Since perl has spread like a virus as a pre-condition
> for other packages this sort of problems obviously
> prevent any attempts to update the installed ports.
>
> Anyhow, season's greetings.
> --jau

The reason for this seems to be that some XML file in the perl
package contains 8-bit text (someone's name most likely) which
cannot be processed using UTF-8 locales.
When I set LC_CTYPE to any ISO8859 locale the build works just
fine.
If the build needs a proper 8-bit ISO8859 locale to work, maybe
such a locale should be set automatically in the beginning of the
build process.

Cheers,
--jau