periodic weekly catman - perl problem

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 22 07:59:33 UTC 2011

I have the catman option enabled for periodic/weekly and get the
following errors:

Reformatting manual pages:
catman: /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.12.4/man/cat3: mkdir: Permission denied
catman: /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.12.4/perl/man/cat3: mkdir: Permission denied

It seems that the cat3 directories are not created because the man
directories are owned by root, and the cat* directories are owned by
man, which is what the 330.catman script operates as.

Creating those directories with the proper permissions allows the catman
periodic script to do its thing. So my question is, is this something
that the catman periodic script should be doing, or should the perl port
be doing it?

Doug