Unthreaded Perl linked to threaded libraries

Dustin J. Mitchell dustin at zmanda.com
Thu Mar 11 23:06:26 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 2:54 AM, Anton Berezin <tobez at tobez.org> wrote:
> Can you try and rebuild perl so that it is still not threaded but linked
> with -pthread and friends?  This would involve copying REINPLACE_CMD bit
> under "if defined(WITH_THREADS)" verbatim to the "else" part, then doing
> make clean ; make install FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=yes.

Thanks - that worked quite well!

Now, the larger question is how to support this in general.  I assume
that including the above instructions in the Amanda README is a
suboptimal solution!

John (copied) has suggested using a perl wrapper that adds
LD_PRELOAD=/lib/libthr.so, which seems to help.  Other options:

Build a private copy of Perl in the Amanda port, or make Amanda depend
on a special linked-with-threads perl port.

Figure out and fix the underlying issue that causes this condition to
hang (although it's not clear it's a bug).

What do you all think?  Are there other freebsd lists I should involve
in this question?

Dustin

--
Open Source Storage Engineer