Upgrade to perl 5.10

Tom Hukins tom at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 9 11:01:25 PDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 07:19:24PM +0200, Oren Maurer wrote:
> I hope that the Perl 5.10 port will have threads by default

I hope it won't.  Perl's threads don't work well for many
applications.  A perl binary built with threading slows down all
applications, even those that do not use threads, noticeably.

I like that FreeBSD's Perl uses Perl's default settings in most cases,
with the port letting users override them if they choose.  Perl itself
disables threads by default.

> this is what U see in Perl with other OS'es.

I usually build my own perl binaries on other operating systems,
partly because of this.

Tom