Status of perl 5.10

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 24 05:45:27 PST 2009

B. Estrade wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 10:07:51AM +0000, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Can someone give us an update on what is the status of preparation for
>> importing perl 5.10?  Who is working on it; what are the remaining
>> obstacles; what can we do in future to avoid the delays?
>>
>> Without pointing fingers at individuals, it has become quite a disgrace
>> to us as a project that we still do not have this in the ports tree
>> after more than a year, and we'd like to determine how we can fix this ASAP.
>
> It looks like 5.8 was recently updated to 5.8.9. As a big time Perl
> user and list lurker, I can say that in general there seem to be very
> few people clamoring for 5.10. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be
> available, but since it is meant to be more of a path to Perl 6 rather
> than a maintenance release of the current Perl standard version (i.e.,
> 5.8), I don't think it is quite the disgrace you make it out to be.

It does come up fairly often on the mailing lists I read, and given that
I know there were plans last year for working on the import, something
clearly changed or went wrong with those plans.

I agree that continuing to keep up with future development is also
important.  Thanks for your offer of help, hopefully the
perl at freebsd.org community will be able to take advantage of it.

Kris