perl version hardcoded in ports

Igor Roshchin str at komkon.org
Thu Feb 16 08:33:54 PST 2006

Hello!

I just was upgrading the perl port on a 5.4-R box,
and found that many ports that require perl (previously installed
via portupgrade) have it  hardcoded with the version number, e.g.

monthly:#!/usr/local/bin/perl5.8.6
oldlog2new:#!/usr/local/bin/perl5.8.6
sa-learn:#!/usr/local/bin/perl5.8.6 -T -w
sa-update:#!/usr/local/bin/perl5.8.6 -T -w
spamassassin:#!/usr/local/bin/perl5.8.6 -T -w
spamd:#!/usr/local/bin/perl5.8.6 -T -w
splitlog:#!/usr/local/bin/perl5.8.6
wwwerrs:#!/usr/local/bin/perl5.8.6
wwwstat:#!/usr/local/bin/perl5.8.6

In this case most of the files are from wwwstat and spamassassin.

While it might be warranted in some instances,
I don't believe it is really required for many (if not most)
of these packages. I think they should use /usr/local/bin/perl
instead.
I suspect, that it is the fault of the mechanism built in
the portupgrade (or ports building system)

Best regards,

Igor

Igor Roshchin
System Administrator