Perl 5.8.6 upgrade

Anton Berezin tobez at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 4 05:57:12 PST 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 04:53:18PM +0300, A K wrote:
> * Anton Berezin <tobez at FreeBSD.org> [Thu, 3 Feb 2005 13:48:45 +0100]:
> > > You can copy `5.8.5' dirs under /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl to
> > > `5.8.6' (or add 5.8.5 to PERL5LIB) as a desperate measure but that is
> > > not supported and will probably break some modules.
> > Actually, this should work just fine, if at the same time the
> > corresponding /var/db/pkg/ entries are modified accordingly, and all
> > relevant scripts in LOCALBASE/bin and X11BASE/bin have their shebangs
> > modified.
>
> And user is warned that XS modules can break :)

Of course, anything can break, but I would worry more about things with
their own little config files with the old paths in them.  The script at
least tries to not touch things installed by older binary incompatible
perls (the $Config::Config{api_XXXX} part in the code).

Cheers,
\Anton.
--
The moronity of the universe is a monotonically increasing function. --
Jarkko Hietaniemi