Perl 5.8.6 upgrade

Daren Desjardins desjardins at canada.com
Thu Feb 3 06:31:11 PST 2005

Anton Berezin wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 03:37:12PM +0300, A K wrote:
>

>>* Daren Desjardins <desjardins at canada.com> [Wed, 02 Feb 2005 10:37:23
>>-0500]:
>>

>>>Yesterday a perl update was released moving it to 5.8.6. According to
>>>the UPDATING file all perl related ports will need to be rebuilt. We
>>>have a number of desktop machines and a quick check showed that this
>>>would result in having to rebuild a minimum of 88 ports.
>>>
>>>How necessary is it to rebuild all perl ports?
>>>

>>You can copy `5.8.5' dirs under /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl to
>>`5.8.6' (or add 5.8.5 to PERL5LIB) as a desperate measure but that is
>>not supported and will probably break some modules.
>>

>Actually, this should work just fine, if at the same time the
>corresponding /var/db/pkg/ entries are modified accordingly, and all
>relevant scripts in LOCALBASE/bin and X11BASE/bin have their shebangs
>modified.
>
>mat and I discussed a possibility of making such tool yesterday.  This
>can be done, and it will probably make 99% of all minor version upgrades
>as painless as it can get.
>
>\Anton.

Such a script, would be extremely valuable. We performed the update on
one of our machines to ensure it would work and see how long it would
take on machine that was dedicated to the task. The results were
depressing... Unfortunately (thankfully only) 3 ports failed the upgrade.

--->  Packages processed: 70 done, 0 ignored, 1 skipped and 2 failed

real    1217m50.180s
user    927m6.746s
sys     197m26.985s

--

Unfortunately, while all answers are replies, not all replies are answers