Interrupt performance

Slawa Olhovchenkov slw at zxy.spb.ru
Fri Jan 28 21:52:18 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 07:52:11AM +1100, Bruce Evans wrote:

> >> there are of course several possible answers, including:
> >>
> >> 1/ Sometimes BSD and Linux report things differently. Linux may or may not
> >> account for the lowest level interrupt tie the same as BSD
> >
> > But I see only 20% idle on FreeBSD and 80% idle on Linux.
>
> The time must be counted somewhere, so when it is not properly accounted
> to packet handling, and nothing much else is running, it is accounted to
> idle.
>
> To see how much CPU is actually available, run something else and see how
> fast it runs.  A simple counting loops works well on UP systems.

===
#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/time.h>

int Dummy;

int
main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
 long int count,i,dt;
 struct timeval st,et;

 count = atol(argv[1]);

 gettimeofday(&st, NULL);
 for(i=count;i;i--) Dummy++;
 gettimeofday(&et, NULL);
 dt = (et.tv_sec-st.tv_sec)*1000000 + et.tv_usec-st.tv_usec;
 printf("Elapsed %d us\n",dt);
}
===

This is ok?

./loop 2000000000

FreeBSD
1 process: Elapsed 7554193 us
2 process: Elapsed 14493692 us
netperf + 1 process: Elapsed 21403644 us

Linux
1 process: Elapsed 7524843 us
2 process: Elapsed 14995866 us
netperf + 1 process: Elapsed 14107670 us

> >> 2/ the BSD driver for that chip may be badly written, or may
> >> be doing more or different work for some reason
> >> 3/ the FreeBSD interrupt code may be misconfigured for that driver.
> >>
> >> or maybe combinations...
>
> Possibly, but it's a low-end NIC and those normally take a lot of CPU.
> 128 kpps might take 20% of 1 3GHz CPU for even a high-end NIC on FreeBSD.
> Linux has generally lower overheads and should be expected to reduce this
> a bit, to perhaps as low as 15%, depending on how much of the overhead is
> due to the NIC.
>
> >> there are profiling tools that you may decide to run.
> >
> > What tools I can use on amd64?
> >
> > I boot kernel configured with 'config -p'.
> > Most time in spinlock_exit and acpi_cpu_c1.
>
> Normal profiling works poorly (I see you found my old mail about high
> resolution profiling).  Linux might be misreporting the overhead for

I think next server will be support PMC.
Report from PMC still poorly?

> exactly the same reasons that normal profiling works poorly:
> - the profiling clock frequency of ~1 KHz was adequate for 5 MHz machines
>    in 1998, but is now too slow.  Statistics clocks are even slower (128
>    Hz in FreeBSD, and possibly 100 Hz (?) jiffies in Linux).
> - the statistics clock might be too synchronized with other interrupts.
>    The above spinlock_exit and acpi_cpu_c1 times indicate that the
>    statistics clock almost always fires on exit from another spinlock
>    and/or inside ACPI, for waking up from idle for the latter.  Seeing
>    lots of exits from spinlocks may indicated that spinlocks are being
>    used too much.
> But FreeBSD will report interrupt times and system for non-fast-interrupts
> to an accuracy of about 1 microsecond, since it doesn't use the
> statistics clock much for this.  OTOH, for fast interrupts it is typical
> behaviour in FreeBSD and Linux to not see them at all from the statistics
> clock interrupt, since they mask all interrupts so they mask the
> statistics clock interrupt in particular.  In FreeBSD, lots of time
> apparently spent in spinlock_exit is a typical result of this, or at
> least similar things, since spinlock_enter masks all interrupts (except
> in my version of course).  Linux doesn't have fast interrupts in the
> same way that FreeBSD does, but at least in old versions almost all of
> its interrupts masked other interrupts a lot.

Linux kernel 2.6.26.

> You showed context switches in another reply.  56k interrupts on FreeBSD
> would give at least 112k context switches taking several uSec each to do
> nothing except switch.  This would give an overhead in the 59% range.
> 14K is not so bad, but still too high unless you have a spare CPU or 32
> to handle it.  Part of the lowness of low-end NICs is that they tend to
> generate too many interrupts and don't have much or any way to control
> this.  Linux will certainly be about to handle 56K int/S better than
> FreeBSD since it doesn't have heavyweight interrupt threads AFAIK.
> FreeBSD also has "fast" interrupts, which are much like normal interrupts
> used to be in FreeBSD.  I don't know if your NIC driver uses these.  I

re0: [FILTER]

I think this is answer ([FILTER]), but I don't understand this answer :).

> guess not, since if it did then it should move the "interrupt" processing
> to a task queue, where it would show up under another label and be reduced
> insignificantly.

> netblast should be able to saturate a low-end NIC, but may take 100% of 1
> CPU to do so (it has to busy-wait, since there is no way to select() on
> the NIC ring being unfull, and timeouts don't work either since their
> granularity is too large).  If the NIC activity alone saturates 1 CPU,
> then you might see the 100% CPU being shown for Linux too.

> I don't really know if this is low-end, but guess all RealTeks are :-).

FreeBSD support interrupt moderation on this chip, and chip support
TOE :)