Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

Chris Rees utisoft at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 13:00:46 UTC 2011

On 23 Dec 2011 12:25, "O. Hartmann" <ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
wrote:

> Look at Steve Kargls problem. He investigated a SCHED_ULE problem in a
> way that is far beyond enough! He gave tests, insights of his setup, bad
> performance compared to SCHED_4BSD and what happend? We are still stuck
> with this problem and more and more people realise, that FreeBSD does
> have somewhere a problem and this seems to be a nasty problem not easy
> to find or investigate. But look at how Steve has been silenced in the
> past ...
> Benchmarks, especially published ones, reveal those pits and soemone
> could look into it.
> Another problem is this very elite-feeling closed club. Once you managed
> it getting into the club of committers or core team members, you'll
> probably fight for your seat ...

You are aware that Steve is part of the 'elite club', right?

Many of us rarely use our @FreeBSD.org addresses; you'd probably be
surprised at the names in the Developers list.

Just being a committer gives your opinions very little weight; everyone has
to make their case in the same way. There's really, really no eliteism here!

Chris