Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

Matthew Tippett matthew at phoronix.com
Thu Dec 22 18:49:56 UTC 2011

(Resending - hopefully without horrific escaping somewhere upstream).

Let me suggest an alternative.

Within the Phoronix Test Suite ecosystem, we have a continious
integration/validation system called Phoromatic
(http://www.phoromatic.com/).  We have a brief theory of operation on it
captured https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=ds439pg_42hpg57m86 .
You can see a Linux oriented tracker available at
http://phoromatic.com/kernel-tracker.php (the nice graphs are when you
select 180 days and the ION 330 systems).  We've re-assigned the systems
to other projects so it is no longer being updated, but it served our
purposes.

This system will allow you to just dedicate a machine to be updateable
and pick up the directions for which test to be run.  The FreeBSD
project (or contributors) would maintain the slave or test machines.
The test suite would be selected and managed by the FreeBSD project or
contributors.  The glue code to emit triggers (possibly SVN, git or
other submission, or even just daily) and the scripts to update the
systems would also be maintained by the FreeBSD community.

Phoronix Media would be happy to host it on Phoromatic.com (we've played
with hosted with project branding) and provide the data store and the
analytics.  We'd also be willing to make enhancements to support the
FreeBSD project.

This should solve the "I don't have time to maintain a automated test
infrastructure".  You don't need to, just write the glue scripts, and
dedicate a couple of machines.  I believe FreeBSD vendors like ixSystems
may be able to support this effort with a dedicated machine.  You can
have as many machines as you like demonstrating AMD/Intel/32/64/large
mem/low mem,etc.

The comments around interactivity can also be measured to some extent.
We have the model of a "monitor".  This can be configured to determine
jitter around a number of system variables and to possibly inject
actions to measure impacts.

We're more than happy to work with you guys, and are willing to help do
a lot of the infrastructure and automation lifting.

Regards,

Matthew