Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

Randy Schultz schulra at earlham.edu
Wed Dec 21 13:15:05 UTC 2011

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011, Matthew Tippett spaketh thusly:

-}There are still possible issues with those benchmarks.  The Xeon has known
-}problems scaling from 6 to 12 cores (well enabling the hyperthreading), so you
-}may find that some platforms are penalized in performance if HT is turned on.
-}See the scaling that Phoronix has done in
-}
-}http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1112166-AR-1112153AR03
-}
-}Most systems are good with scaling on real cores, the hyperthreading (and for
-}that matter the Bulldozer thread affinity) can really break performance.
-}Different platforms have different behaviours.  Benchmarking is a mucky
-}business..

This brings up a good point.  While I don't have any hard #'s, I suspect the
vast majority of SA's do not have/spend much time tweaking this and tuning that.
Order the box, drop the OS on it, install needed bits and go.  Saying "oh for
app X you need to tune these sysctl's", while it may be entirely true, kinda
throws things out the window.  It seems that once one starts down that slippery
slope, it merely becomes a game of how much time to you have to "tune 1 more
thing".  ;>  I think Phoronix has the right idea of just grabbing a stock box
and not looking into what needs to be tweaked for a specific app.

--
 Randy    (schulra at earlham.edu)      765.983.1283         <*>

nosce te ipsum