Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

Attilio Rao attilio at freebsd.org
Fri Dec 16 10:55:00 UTC 2011

2011/12/16 Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 2:32 AM, O. Hartmann
> <ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>> Just saw this shot benchmark on Phoronix dot com today:
>>
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTAyNzA
>>
> it might be worth highlighting that despite Oracle Linux 6.1 Server is
> using a kernel + compiler almost 2 years old, it still manages to
> out-perform the bleeding edge FreeBSD :-)
>
> Now, from what I've read so far in this thread, it seems that a lot of
> people are still in abnegation...
>
> my 0.2c,
>  - Arnaud

Said by someone which really thinks passing __FILE__ and __LINE__ to
kernel function is going to give a mesaurable performance penalty is
really hilarious however :)

It is crystal clear you really don't understand how to make reliable
benchmarks (and likely you don't really have a grasp of nowaday's
machine contention points), so why you keep talking about it? It would
be more valuable for you and whatever project you follow if you spend
your time coding and making real benchmarking.

Attilio