Possible evidence of performance regression for 8.1-S (vs. 7.1)

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Tue Oct 26 14:34:13 UTC 2010

At 07:29 AM 10/26/2010, David Wolfskill wrote:

>OK -- but we were using the default scheduler in each case.  The basic
>point I'm making here is the apparent performance regression for
>similarly-configured systems under 7.1 vs. 8.1.

ULE is the default in 7 as well.  Perhaps remove some of the kernel
options not in 7, that are in 8 by default? What is the disk
subsystem ? just ata ?

They seem innocuous enough, but worth a try

options        HWPMC_HOOKS             # Necessary kernel hooks for hwpmc(4)
options        MAC                     # TrustedBSD MAC Framework
options        FLOWTABLE               # per-cpu routing cache

         ---Mike

Mike Tancsa,                                      tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications,                            mike at sentex.net
Providing Internet since 1994                    www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada                         www.sentex.net/mike