tuning kern.maxproc

katydid katydid at mail.ru
Fri Feb 19 09:49:13 UTC 2010

Hello.

I have a mail-relay server (qmail). It filtering inbound mail traffic and periodically security run output log inform me
that:

<... skip ...>

+maxproc limit exceeded by uid 82, please see tuning(7) and login.conf(5).

<... skip ...>

# sysctl kern.maxproc
kern.maxproc: 6164

The problem - inbound mail traffic periodically is huge, inbound queue growing up dramatically and number of incoming
connections are exhaust (concurrencyincoming = 1000).

DNS, network connectivity etc. are OK.

Is the reason to change kern.maxproc limit ? Or any other recommendation ?

Thanks in advance.

Andrey Oleynikov.

Institute of information and analytical technologies - IIAT, Ltd.
Russia, 123001, Moscow, Bolshaya Sadovaya, 1, bldg. 1
http://www.iiat.ru
tel: +7 (495) 251-1849
      +7 (495) 251-0164
      +7 (495) 250-3411