FreeBSD vs Ubuntu - Discuss...

Attilio Rao attilio at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 29 19:09:57 UTC 2009

2009/9/29 Randy Schultz <schulra at earlham.edu>:

> ----- "Andrew Kuriger" <a.kuriger at liquidphlux.com> spaketh thusly:
>

> | Since the article says that they left the debugging features on I
> | think
> | this has a bit to do with it. Obviously the testers didn't care to
> | read the
> | documentation, and didn't seem to care to use the same compiler which
> | is
> | available in ports, I believe it is safe to chuck this lame
> | benchmark.
>

> Hrm.  IMHO, this benchmark actually tells us something interesting.  It tells us
> that with the anchor thrown overboard, freebsd is nearly as fast as linux.

I don't think this is the case.
The tester claims to be using FreeBSD-RC1 which has all the mentioned
debugging options off.
And yes, we should adjust UPDATING in order to remove the (now)
misleading writing about the debugging options.

I think that the most interesting opionion these benchmarks tell is
that we are slow on random, threaded  I/O operations. I think we need
to investigate more in this direction.

Attilio