gjournal, hardware raid, software raid

Oliver Lehmann oliver at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 23 17:45:28 UTC 2009

Freddie Cash wrote:

> I've never done anything with gjournal, so can't really comment on what
> would be the better setup for it.  However, I would like to point out that
> there's a fourth option:
>   - configure the RAID controller to use 4 Single Disk arrays (or JBOD, not
> sure when 3Ware added Single Disk support)
>   - use ZFS to create a raidz dataset using the 4 drives

Uh... Ok, this might be an option generally but honestly not for me ;)

Considering the money I've spent 3 years ago for buying the RAID
controller and considering the load it takes from the system handling
the RAID I think it is in the best interest for the system to keep the
RAID-5 3ware internally. As you might have seen the system is not the
fastest one with not that much of memory - so whatever load I can
delegate I'm try to delegate off the CPUs.
Today I would probably not spend the money buying a RAID controller again
but use indeed ZFS instead. But back the time there was only (g)vinum -
and I never liked it.

--
 Oliver Lehmann
  http://www.pofo.de/