System crawls after Upgrade 7.0->7.2

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Wed Sep 9 17:02:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 10:48:07AM +0200, Tobias Lott wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 12:19:45 +0200
> Tobias Lott <tlott at gamesnet.de> wrote:
> > Hey Everyone,
> >
> > I upgraded a Dual Core Machine to 7.2-Stable (2 Days ago), all OS
> > related Stuff is located on an UFS Slice, Application is on a ZFS
> > Volume.
> >
> > After the Upgrade everything seemed fine, but a User noticed one PHP
> > Script which is basically loading a plain Textfile into Mysql times
> > out. PHP Timeout was set to 60 secs, that was more then enough just
> > one day before the upgrade.
> > Since I upgraded the Machines zpool to version 13 already I don't
> > really wanna go back to 7.0, but it seems the only way out atm.
> >
> > Hopefully someone can give me a Hint where maybe I forgot to check.
> >
> > Somehow it feels like the last Versions, I'd say starting with 7.x
> > doesn't really feel that Rock-Stable as Versions Prior used to
> > be. Prolly cause I'm using an Experimental Feature like ZFS, so no
> > Offense nor Blame and this is not intended as a Flame or whatsoever!
> > So don't get me wrong, I always liked, used, recommended FreeBSD since
> > 4.0 and will continue to do so!
> >
> > Best Regards
> >

> I've tested some more it seems the Bottleneck is the HD, Raid Array is
> Optimal checked it.

  Probably you already checked this, but did you go through the dmesg
output relating to ata and drive detection closely?

  In the past from time to time I've had machines suddenly start
crawling after an upgrade, and it turned out it was because some change
in the driver detection caused the ata to fall back to pio mode.  The
symptoms are pretty much like you describe - all HD IO takes forever.

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at lava.net
       President  - I and I Computing * http://www.iandicomputing.com/