Comparison of FreeBSD/Linux TCP Throughput performance

Paul Pathiakis pathiaki2 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 20 07:05:39 UTC 2009

Hi,

going to chime in on this one....just trying to help.

There's some simple things to get Gb, jumbo frames (MTU > 1500 on both the switch port and the card) is a simple way.

However, I'd have to read back on this thread as I haven't had time of late.  Basically, and I've seen this on many, many Gb cards, chipsets and Drives make the world of difference.

I tried for a few days to try and get an HP DL360 with it's dual on-board Broadcom bge NIC to get to 1 Gb.... just plain no way.  If anyone has settings for that, I'd like to know them.  Also, this is the same chip set that a lot of vendors use and it is cheap and inexpensive.  When I couldn't get the thing to go beyond 720Mb, I tried something simple.  I ordered an Intel dual Gb port card and put that in.  WITHOUT tuning, this thing started at almost 800 Mb throughput and I almost got it to 850 Mb within a few hours.

I wish I could send those settings to this list but it was well over a year ago that I did this.

Sadly, most large vendors start with Broadcom chipsets and don't want to spent the extra $10 for the Intel chipset.  (No, I am not a fan boy of Intel, more of AMD if anything, but their NICs rock.)

P.