Comparison of FreeBSD/Linux TCP Throughput performance

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Tue Oct 20 02:39:54 UTC 2009

2009/10/20 István <leccine at gmail.com>:

> therefore i like netpipe runs you can see the performance and the latency as
> well using the packet size as your "x" axis, i think it makes more sense
> then just 1 number

My point was to demonstrate that saturating gigabit ethernet is very
doable with FreeBSD, and his limitation is more likely somewhere other
than "TCP".

I've told him privately to check CPU utilisation. I'll do the same on
my boxes when I get some time; I'd like to know why I'm only seeing ~
800mbit with large buffers.