Using sysctl(1) to gather resource consumption data

Norberto Meijome numardbsd at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 11:44:12 UTC 2008

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 16:48:22 -0700
David Wolfskill <david at catwhisker.org> wrote:

> I wanted to have a low impact on the system being measured (of course),
> and I was unwilling to require that a system to be measured had any
> software installed on it other than base FreeBSD.  (Yes, that means I
> didn't assume Perl, though in practice in this environment, each does.)

Out of curiosity, how does bsnmpd compare to your approach with regards to
impact on the system. It is part of 7.0 , not sure about previous versions, and
it is definitely a more standard and cross platform approach , with support @
NOC / alerting side of things.

(for what is worth, i've only used net-snmpd , not bsnmpd )...

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to
reform." Mark Twain

Warned.