FreeBSD 7.1 BETA 2 vs Opensolaris vs Ubuntu performance

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Wed Nov 26 01:55:42 PST 2008

2008/11/26 Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at leidinger.net>:

> If you want to test OS performance and use Java programs in there to do so,
> you would use the same Java version, wouldn't you? They didn't.

Linux: 1.6.0_0-b12
Solaris: 1.6.0_10-b33
FreeBSD: 1.6.0_07-b02

Since system have their local patches (I know FreeBSD does), I don't
think it's even possible to test "exactly the same" version ;)

But this also goes into the "What OS ships with" category.

> If you want to run number crunching software, you are interested in high
> computing throughput of your app, so you use a compiler which performs best
> for your code in question (which would mean probably the Intel compiler or
> the Portland compiler on Linux, maybe the Sun compiler on Solaris, and
> probably gcc on FreeBSD). You also want to optimize the code for your CPU
> (it makes a difference if you do floating point calculations and are allowed
> to use the SSEx or whatever instructions), and not some generic settings the
> OS comes with.

I think they went with the "stock" configurations as that's what
almost all users will use.

> The "benchmark" presented there is flawed in a lot of ways.

Yes.