FreeBSD 7.1 BETA 2 vs Opensolaris vs Ubuntu performance

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Tue Nov 25 09:30:17 PST 2008

2008/11/25 Mike Tancsa <mike at sentex.net>:
> At 12:06 PM 11/25/2008, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>>
>> 2% may not sound like a lot but it starts becoming measurable savings
>> when the number of boxes involved is ${LARGE}.
>
> True, but then again is there such a thing as a synthetic benchmark that
> would have a margin of error less than 2% while representing your real world
> application mix?

It depends, what do you think people read when making decisions? :)

Bout the only thing that could fix this is for people involved with
FreeBSD to re-do the benchmark, documenting how it was done wrong, and
reporting on the results.

Note that I didn't say "show FreeBSD is better", at least not in the
initial round.

Adrian