FreeBSD 7.1 BETA 2 vs Opensolaris vs Ubuntu performance

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Mon Nov 24 13:07:23 PST 2008

At 03:28 PM 11/24/2008, Steven Hartland wrote:
>http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=os_threeway_2008&num=1
>
>Was interesting until I saw this:-
>
>"However, it's important to reiterate that all three operating
>systems were left in their stock configurations and that no
>additional tweaking had occurred."

They all seem to be fairly close in the majority of tests.

In the conclusion they write, "In our LAME MP3 encoding test, Ubuntu
8.10 was the fastest followed by FreeBSD 7.1".... One needs to
consider, the difference was 2%... Thats hardly anything to get
excited about, especially if that difference can be accounted for by
how much priority the scheduler gives to a userland app vs what the
system is doing etc....

Also, it would have been interesting to see more multithreaded work
loads.  A lot of the apps they tested seemed to be single threaded,
doing one job.

         ---Mike