Performance with python and FreeBSD 7.0 amd64

Felipe Neuwald felipebgn at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 16:32:25 UTC 2008

> Hmm... that's an interesting mix of failures.
>
> I have seen bus errors when Python runs out of stack space either in the
> main thread or child threads (not an unknown issue with Zope).
>
> gcc 4.x in my limited experience generates sometimes noticeably larger
> stack frames than gcc 3.x (which is standard on 6.x), which can provoke
> unexpected stack exhaustion.
>
> You don't mention whether you're using a local build or a binary package.
> Nor do you mention the point release (python 2.4.5 is the most recent in
> the 2.4 series).

I'm using a local build, installed via ports tree (python24-2.4.5_1).

> The default thread stack size according to my 6.3 box's ports is 1MB for
> Python 2.4.4) which should be adequate for most circumstances.
>
> The illegal instruction failure suggests something wrong with your
> binaries (including those built for Zope).
>
> The segmentation violations often indicate a problem with reference
> counts, frequently attributable to bugs in 3rd party extensions.
>
> You might want to check that all binaries for Python, Zope & Plone (if it
> has any) link against the same libraries.

Ok, I'll try to check these. I'm not the python + zope + plone guy,
I'm the FreeBSD administrator. I'll have to work with the application
team to find the solution for these problem.

> If you can snaffle cores, you might want to try and extract backtraces
> from gdb (debugging symbols would make this more productive...)

Ok, I'll also try to get more information with cores.

Thanks, Felipe Neuwald.