Performance Tracker project update

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 23 17:59:00 PST 2008

Kris Kennaway wrote:

>>> P.S. If I understand correctly, the float test shows a regression?
>>> The metric is calculations/second, so higher = better?
>>
>> The documentation on Unixbench is scarce, but I would think so.
>
> Interesting.  Some candidate changes from 2007-10-02:
>
>   Modified files:
>     contrib/gcc          opts.c
>   Log:
>   Do not imply -ftree-vrp with -O2 and above.  One must implicitly specify
>   '-ftree-vrp' if one wants it.
>   Some bad code generation has been tracked to -ftree-vrp.  jdk1{5,6} are
>   notable examples.

OK, so it was this one.  The other interesting events seem to be:

2007-10-20: drop in super-smack performance and context switch
benchmarks.  This is due to the switch from SCHED_4BSD to SCHED_ULE
(super-smack is largely a context switch benchmark due to retarded
design).  There are uncommitted patches that reduce ULE context switch
overhead though, so it will be interesting to see how they affect this.

2007-12-30: file read/pipe read/pipe ping-pong/syscall overhead
performance increases.  This is due to Jeff's lockless struct file
changes (syscall overhead is only affected because unixbench uses the
dup2() syscall which is not in fact just a measure of syscall overhead
but now has reduced non-syscall cost).

Kris