Performance Tracker project update

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 23 12:48:05 PST 2008

Robert Watson wrote:

>> I think it's best if participating machines supply data regularly for
>> an extended period of time. Single or infrequent data points for a
>> specific configuration don't make much sense. We need to compare
>> apples to apples.
>
> Yes -- I was mostly thinking about backdating in order to play "catchup"
> when a new benchmark is introduced.

One thing I am looking at is how to best create a library of world
tarballs that can be used to populate a nfsroot (or hybrid of periodic
tarballs + binary diffs to save space).  Then you could provide your
benchmark in a standardized format (start/end/cleanup scripts, etc) and
tell a machine "go and run this benchmark on every daily snapshot for
the last year and give me the numbers".

Kris